Sunday 19 January 2014

The Only Child

Oooooh the stereotypes that's casted upon being the only offspring to a set of parents can be downright cruel at times. I have been the only child (as far as I know) all my life and needless to say, I am one of those who are dying to have siblings to argue, play and grow old with. The older I get, the more I resented the idea of me being the only one in the family that will be left to carry on the family genes.

Growing up I get the following from my friends, relatives and schoolmates...
  1. You must be very pampered!
    Not true at all. I have to work hard for the love and gifts I want.
  2. You don't have to share your room with anyone!
    I am unfortunately afraid of the dark and being the only one left in a closed door room is not a very pleasant experience.
  3. You don't get hand me downs. All your stuff will be brand new.
    But don't forget that I have to earn for all those stuff and suffer guilt trips from my parents if anything were to happen to them. I personally prefer hand me downs.
  4. So lucky you don't have siblings whom will bully you endless.
    Hey! At least I will have someone to talk/play with at the end of the day, right?
  5. Your parents have no one to compare you with.
    Objection! I still have cousins and kids belonging to friends of my parents. I cannot run away from this. It's worse when you are being compared to someone who are NOT raised by your parents. Fortunately for me, my parents don't care if I do well in school or not.

This paragraph from a book pretty much explains how I feel being the only child:
"There is an unfair responsibility that comes with being an only child - you grow up knowing you aren't allowed to disappoint, you're not even allowed to die. There isn't a replacement toddling around; you're it. It makes you desperate to be flawless, and it also makes you drunk with power." - Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn.
 I would like to hear from other only-childs around the world who defied all typecasts. We should start a club or something. It'll be so much fun!

4 comments:

  1. hmm i duno eh i am 5050 on having a 2nd child because my sanity is going all over the place hawhawaw.

    i duno if i am being fair to darya but hello what about me! i say to those people who say that. whahawhaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe when Darya's older she may even ask you for 'adik'. Haha, make sure it's make known to her that she will be on permanent babysitter duty :P

      Delete
  2. bahahaha. PERMANENT you hear me, young lady!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...